I know. I know. I know.
I am super late with this post. The thing is, my life has been going through some exciting changes and the thought of sitting still in front of my computer and hashing out this article was inconceivable.
With that being said, I love cooking breakfast! I usually have a quick snack or shake as I head out the door to my early morning clients. When those sessions are completed I get to head back home to a quiet house and go to work in the kitchen! This routine allows me to unwind, regroup and refuel!
Here are my TOP 5 (currently) BREAKFAST RECIPES:
Sweet Potato & Scrambled Egg Sliders
- 4 pieces of Sweet Potato Sliced into approx. 1-inch rounds
- 1 -2Tbsp of coconut oil
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 eggs
- A splash of non-dairy milk
- Your choice of veggies and meat to add to your scramble.
- Preheat oven to 400*
- Coat slices of sweet potato with coconut oil
- Sprinkle slices with cinnamon and sea salt
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, then turn over for another 15 minutes (I usually cook the sweet potatoes ahead of time and heat them in the skillet for a minute on each side after I cook my scrambled.)
- Create your own egg scramble and place between two slices of sweet potatoes.
Sweet Potato Toast
1-2 slices of sweet potatoes cut thinly lengthwise
Your choice: avocado, tuna, egg scramble, lunch meat, hummus etc.
- Toast slices of sweet potatoes in the toaster on medium (varies per toaster). When it pops, let cool for 2 minutes and toast again.
- Add topping of your choice
- Greek or Siggi’s yogurt (both are nutrient dense and lactose-free)
- Your choice of toppings. I recommend: Purely Elizabeth granola, coconut chips, Manitoba’s Harvest Hemp Hearts, berries, bananas, raw honey, walnuts, etc
- Mix and enjoy!
Egg & Bean Breakfast Burrito
(Not my picture)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 fajita sized whole wheat tortilla
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- Crack 4 eggs into a glass bowl and whisk until well yolk and white are well combined.
- Scramble eggs to your liking.
- Rinse black beans to get rid of excess sodium, and set aside.
- Pour eggs, beans, and salsa onto the tortilla. Roll into a burrito, and slice in half.
Mini Frittatas (enough for future breakfasts)
(obviously not my picture either)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 8 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 4 (2-ounce) links all-natural Italian chicken sausage, cooked and thinly sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 small yellow potatoes, peeled and diced
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Mist a 12-count muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add potatoes, onion, and salt and sauté for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender.
- Add sausage, garlic, and tomatoes, and sauté for 2 minutes more.
- Divide mixture among muffin tins and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and yogurt. Stir in cheese, basil, and pepper. Divide evenly among muffin cups.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until puffed and set.
- Remove from oven and let cool for about 20 minutes. Slide a knife around each frittata and gently remove, placing on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Freeze until firm, about 2 hours, then transfer to a large zip-top freezer bag. Return to freezer until ready to serve, up to 1 month.
- To serve, reheat in the oven or microwave can be used if desired.